The practice of law in England and Wales is now one of the most heavily regulated in the world with outcomes-focused regulation beginning to take effect.
Leading authority on legal risk management, Frank Maher, presents Risk and Compliance for Law Firms in a Changed World - the must-have guide for all who deal with risk and compliance within law firms including COLPs and COFAs.
The report demonstrates how key emerging issues will affect your firm and how you need to respond effectively to ensure the risk is managed successfully.
Using clear and practical examples you will be guided through the distinct requirements of a risk management system including:
- Responsibility at senior management level;
- A framework for managing risk across all parts of the business;
- Integration of risk management processes into firm culture;
- Accountability in each practice area and support function;
- A risk evaluation process;
- External assessment; and
- Business continuity planning.
Key issues covered include:
- The new SRA Handbook;
- The appointment of Compliance Officers under OFR;
- People and culture issues;
- Client engagement;
- File auditing;
- Managing your insurance;
- Professional Indemnity Insurance;
- International firms;
- Alternative Business Structures;
- Outsourcing; and much more…
Chapter 1: Law firm risk management – A decade in review
Chapter 2: The draft SRA Handbook
Chapter 3: Clients
Chapter 4: Business management and finance
Chapter 5: People
Chapter 6: Anti-money laundering compliance and bribery
Chapter 7: Professional indemnity
Chapter 8: Alternative business structures
Chapter 9: International practice
Chapter 10: ConclusionCheck our Executive Summary and full table of contents here