Are you making the most of your firm's cross-selling opportunities?
On average, in a typical firm, 20% of the lawyers are high-performing rainmakers. They know the secrets to capitalising on business development opportunities and they often manage to secure big clients. A further 20% are doing little in the way of business development. The rest (around 60%) are sitting somewhere in the middle. They're bringing in business, but more needs to be done to find that extra revenue.
How can this 60% really capitalise on making more money? More and more law firm leaders are turning to cross-selling.
Develop a cross-serving culture to cross-sell
In many cases, cross-selling in the legal sphere is a lot easier said than done. It should be easy to get more work in different practice areas from your existing clients, but organisational challenges and working cultures can often stand in the way of cross-selling success.
How can your firm overcome these challenges and make the most of this traditionally untapped revenue stream?
Creating a Cross-Serving CultureShift: Mastering Cross-Selling for Lawyers and Leaders is a practical guide dedicated to helping you achieve exactly this. Packed with clear, actionable guidance on how to attract, retain and grow a client base, it provides scores of practical tips to help you and your firm become a true master of cross-selling.
To address the crux of the challenge at most firms - adjusting mindsets and cultural attitudes of lawyers to encourage cross-practice collaboration - the book outlines a proven strategy to address the cultural change that is necessary to a successful cross-selling initiative. The guide will also show you how to:
- Initiate excellent communication between practice groups
- Educate your teams to ensure they have a deep understanding of the services offered by other lawyers at your firm
- Instill a culture of trust and empathy between lawyers so a cross-serving culture can develop more easily
- Implement an active client feedback programme
- Achieve higher levels of client service, so you become the firm your clients turn to for important work
- Implement a compensation system that rewards team-based behaviours
- Encourage personal accountability
- Employ proactive leaders who are committed to driving key cross-serving behaviours
Why this guide is a real-game changer
- Learn from David Freeman, one of the world's leading authorities on maximising cross-selling in law firms. He has over 30 years' experience and was recognised as the top "Law Firm Business Development Consultant and Coach" in National Law Journal surveys in the US.
- Actively increase the amount of lawyer time and energy that is devoted to cross-selling at your firm.
- Uncover 13 key 'Accelerators' that will help your future business development success.
- Drive greater cross-selling success with the Appendix designed for firm leaders, offering a practical, high-level checklist of major activities.
In addition to the author’s perceptions, this book includes insights from law firm leaders who have provided input based on a survey conducted specifically for this project.
What your peers are saying
“In my opinion, David is the world’s leading authority on practical aspects of maximizing cross-selling in law firms.”
Elizabeth Anne "Betiayn" Tursi, Global Chair and Co-Founder, Women in Law Empowerment Forum
“David Freeman has a keen understanding of the art of cross-selling and the benefits it brings. His professional background and experience allows him to articulate the case for team centered business development in a way that motivates and inspires even the most reluctant professional..”
Peter Kellett, Chairman and CEO, Dykema
"David Freeman has literally written the book on cross-selling. This is NOT a 30,000 foot view but rather he gives us boots on the ground, practical guidance from years of overcoming obstacles in every type of law firm culture."
Doug Hoover, CMO/Director of Marketing & Business Development, Schiff Hardin LLP
Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Increase motivation to act on cross-serving
Chapter 3: Obstacle removal
Chapter 4: Activate the Accelerators
Chapter 5: The race to the future
Appendix: The Watcher toolkit
"Whether you are a managing partner, practice leader, mentor, compensation committee member, business development professional, or simply a lawyer looking to improve your overall effectiveness and contribution, David offers straightforward advice for strengthening your cross-selling (and cross-serving) capabilities. The book provides practical tools for removing obstacles, retraining your inner voice, developing new skills, targeting the best opportunities, creating replicable processes, making excellent impressions, running great meetings, and creating a rational context for contacting clients and introducing them to others in your firm. Ample case studies provide color and clarity." Eric Seeger, Altman Weil