The way law firms are structured is changing. Historically partner-led, -owned and -managed, increasingly law firms are turning towards a more corporate model, reflecting the modern business world, increased competition, demanding clients and recognition that professional service firms require professionals from other disciplines to run them like a business.
Research carried out for Colliers1 demonstrates a clear link between law firms that employ business professionals in the c-suite to increased profitability and commercial success (those firms with a CFO, CHRO and CIO saw average PPEP rise by over $300,000).
And the law firm c-suite is becoming increasingly crowded. Joining the traditional CEO, CFO, marketing and human resources roles are titles encompassing discovery, strategy, pricing and finance, demonstrating the diversity of issues law firms must manage and act upon in order to thrive in a growing market.
Evolving Roles in the Law Firm C-Suite provides insight into the traditional and more trendsetting c-suite roles through a series of interviews with the people seated around the boardroom table, garnering their views on how the management structure of law firms has changed over their careers, and offering perspectives on how it may continue to evolve.
Part one looks at the more traditional and recognizable roles, including the CEO, CFO, CMO and CKO, whilst part two introduces roles gaining more traction in the legal c-suite, including the COO, CPO, CDO and CSO. The book concludes with a chapter on women in the c-suite, featuring insights from all contributors.
- The CEO – Edward O’Rourke, Chief Executive Officer, Ashtons Legal
- The CFO – Joe Kelley, Chief Financial Officer, Jackson Lewis, and Kenneth Koehn, Chief Financial Officer, Gould and Ratner
- The CMO – Jennifer Manton, Chief Marketing and Business Development Officer, Kramer Levin Naftalis and Frankel LLP, and Andrea Miskolz, Chief Marketing and Business Development Officer, Wolf Theiss
- The CKO – Mark Ford, Chief Knowledge Officer, Baker McKenzie, and Lucy Dillon, Chief Knowledge Officer, Reed Smith
- The COO – Blane Prescott, Chief Operating Officer, Foley and Lardner
- The CPO – Stuart Dodds, Chief Pricing Officer, Baker McKenzie, and Toby Brown, Chief Pricing Officer, Perkins Coie
- The CDO – Paul McVoy, Chief Discovery Officer, Milberg
- The CSO – Josh Kubicki, Chief Strategy Officer, Seyfarth Shaw LL P, and Debra Lawrence, Chief Strategy Officer, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
- Women in the c-suite